- Graduated from the University of Fukui
- Degree of M.Eng. at the University of Tokyo
- Lecturer at Hosei University (Tokyo)
- Associate Professor at Hosei University
- Degree of Dr.Eng. at the University of Tokyo
- Professor at Hosei University
- Honorary Dr.Eng. by the University of Stuttgart
- Honorary Dr.Eng. by the Slovak University of Technology (Bratislava)
- Honorary Professor at Hosei University
- Passed away
Numbers of papers have been presented in the fields of shells, latticed space structures, tension structures, base-isolated structure and structural design philosophy.
Structural Design Works
Some examples of his many design works are Yoyogi Olympic Stadium, West Japan General Exhibition Center, The Expo ’70 Space Frame for the Festival Plaza, Expo ’70 Fuji Group Pavilion, Sant Jordi Sports Palace, Singapore Indoor Stadium, Sundome Fukui, Namihaya Dome, Inuchus Bridge, Ceramic Park MINO, Shenzhen Cultural Center, Yong-Le Bridge, and so on.
- Design Examples of Space Structure (in Japanese), Kajima Institute Publishing Co., Ltd.
- Suspended Structures (in Japanese), Corona Publishing Co., Ltd.
- Introduction to Architecture (in Japanese), Shokokusha Publishing Co., Ltd.
- Mechanism of Building Structures (in Japanese), Shokokusha Publishing Co., Ltd.
- Structural Perspectives (Bilingual in English & Japanese), AIJ (Architectural Institute of Japan)
- Felix Candela (in Japanese), TOTO Publishing
- The Structures of Eduardo Torroja (in Japanese), Sagami-Shobo
- Structures and Sensibility (in Japanese), Kajima Institute Publishing Co., Ltd.
- AIJ (Architectural Institute of Japan), Executive Member
- JIA (The Japan Institute of Architects)
- JSCE (Japan Society of Civil Engineers)
- JSCA (Japan Structural Consultants Association)
- JSSC (Japanese Society of Steel Construction)
- IABSE (International Association for Bridge and Structural Engineering)
- IASS (International Association for Shell and Spatial Structures), President (1990-1991, 2000-2006)
- Chairman of AIJ Structural Design Committee
- Executive organizing member of the following international symposia held in Japan:
IASS Pacific Symposium - Tokyo, Kyoto, Oct. 1971
IASS Symposium - Osaka, Sep. 1986
Seiken - IASS Symposium - Tokyo, Oct. 1993
Int. Symposium on Innovative Architecture in Asia, Osaka, Oct. 1996
- Member of the organizers or scientific committees of number of international conferences held abroad.
- Writer of the following recommendations:
Analysis, Design & Realization of Space Frames, IASS, 1984
IASS Recommendations for Air-Supported Structures, 1985
- Recommendations for Design of Cable Structures, AIJ 1994
- Ministry of Science & Technology Award, for the design of pneumatic structures
- AIJ Award, for the Space Frame at Expo’70
- AIJ Award, for a series of works in spatial structures
- Quaternario Venezia, for Sant Jordi Sports Palace in Barcelona
- Gengo Matsui Award, for Sant Jordi Sports Palace in Barcelona
- IASS Tsuboi Prize (The Best Paper in IASS Bulletin for 1992)
- Special Pioneer’s Award (University of Surrey, UK)
- JSCE Award, for Inachus Bridge
- IABSE International Award (Structural Design & Philosophy)
- Hiroshima Town Planning Design Grand-Prix, for A.CITY Hills & Towers
- AIJ Annual Architectural Design Commendation, for Inachus Bridge
- AIJ Award, for Sun Dome Fukui
- IASS Eduardo Torroja Medal
- JSCA Award, for the Structural Design of Ceramic Park MINO
- JSCE Design Award, for Inachus Bridge
- BCS Prize, for Onishi Hall
- JSSI (The Japan Society of Seismic Isolation) Award, for Ceramic Park MINO
- Grand Prize of AIJ
- Distinguished Service Award of SSF
- Architecture of the Year in Japan (Nov. 1995)
- Contemporary Development in Design Science, Buckminster Fuller
Centennial Exhibit, New York (Nov. 1995 - Apr. 1996)
- Building for the Future, Istanbul (Jun. 1996)
- Engineers of the Century, Pompidou Centre, Paris (Jul.-Sep. 1997)
- Mamoru Kawaguchi-Structural Engineer, Innovation and Tradition in Structural Design, IASS2009, Universidad Politecnica de Valencia (Sep.-Nov. 2009)